1. Take a long slow bike ride.
2. Save seeds.
3. Dry herbs.
4. Fend off a head cold with a little saltwater.
At the first sign of a sore throat, dump a teaspoon of salt in a cup. Add hot water and stir to dissolve. Gargle and discard several sips, being careful not to swallow! Repeat several hours later as needed. The salt kills the germs before they have a chance to uh, ferment. I’ve used this trick to prevent more than one cold this fall.
5. Bake cookies.
6. Press some pretty leaves for one week. Hang them on your wall with sticky tack. = Instant fall décor.
7. Pick apples at a local orchard.
8. Photograph a child in the falling leaves.
9. Visit school.
10. Craft a homemade gift for a friend.
11. Chop some veggies.
- After chopping five quarts of celery for a local fundraiser, I am now very good at chopping celery. You would not believe how good I am at chopping celery. It’s so nice to have this to fall back on, like if anything would happen to Ryan and I had to support myself… “I chop celery.” It would look great on a résumé.
- I also chop cabbage. Cabbage is amazing. I like it fried lightly with some smoked sausage and hot pierogies. Heaven.
12. Spice some cider. [recipe]
What else is fun and cheap in the fall? Your ideas here!